Saturday, February 6, 2010

Change your mind, change your choices, change your life.

Lately I’ve been putting positive affirmations to the test. I’ve had mixed results.

"When you look for the bad expecting it, you will find it." ~ Abraham Lincoln

A life beyond the ordinary is within the grasp of all of us but rising out of the grind of making a living and embracing the joy of making a life takes effort. Change takes time and making the effort, especially when the path to success seems to take one step forward and two steps back, is tiresome. In spite of my mortal tendency to wallow in self-pity and criticize every, other, living, thing I digress and superimpose affirmations. Nothing feels more empowering than blessing an asshole.

“You can’t always get what you want.” ~ Mick Jagger

I play these positive thoughts in my head like a loop. As soon as I realize that I am dwelling on thoughts that would, if manifested, result in mayhem and destruction, I check myself and accentuate the positive. Trials are a part of life. Embracing a struggle is like embracing an ex but what doesn’t kill us… The first act toward changing your life is changing your mind. Negative inside equals negative outside. The converse is also true.

I was getting by as a struggling artist. I use the term, “getting by,” loosely. The utilities were on, the utilities were off. The rent was paid, the rent was not paid. The check cleared, the check bounced…good times.

I wasn’t lazy. Actually, I worked very hard but I never seemed to GET anywhere. More out of desperation than anything else I decided that if I continued to fall short of my desires it would NOT be because I passively allowed opportunities to pass me by. Broadening my perspective, adjusting my reactions and accepting responsibility for affecting the circumstances that dictate my life changed my trajectory.

Changing my attitude, acting from a state of confidence (even when I had to fake it) and making the effort made an enormous impact on my life. Ok, life in Orlando isn't exactly Mecca but I'm on my way, ok? The point is that I wasn't happy where I was, physically and metaphorically speaking. I took the first step of imagining the life I wanted instead of the life I had and (POOF) here I am living medium in Orlando! All kidding aside, I totally manifested this life that I have here in Lake Eola right down to the quaint, brick, streets. If I can manifest this chapter of my life I can manifest the next one and the next and the next. We can do ANYTHING that we set our minds to. Change your mind, change your choices and change your life.

“Let go of your ego’s need to be right. When you’re in the middle of an argument, ask yourself: Do I want to be right or be happy? When you choose the joyous, loving, spiritual mode, your connection to intention is strengthened.” ~ Wayne Dyer

I did just that. I let go of my egos need to be right. I had to bite the inside of my cheek to do it but, hey, the skin will grow back. I stopped allowing the actions (opinions) of other people, most of whom I didn't hold in particularly high regard to begin with, cause a negative reaction in me. I started ignoring the peanut gallery. I disciplined my will and planted the seeds of “good” actions and I keep the faith that the laws of reciprocity are in my favor. I am uncertain of what lies ahead but I am absolutely certain that my life will continue to manifest in a positive way. How can I be certain? Because, concerning my dreams, I dwell on the best possible scenario and I fall asleep at night feeling the joy of my convictions. Concerning my frienemies, "Who dat? God bless!" Concerning the future...Raybans, I prefer Raybans.